Thursday, September 29, 2011

Humanity is overrated.

I light a cigarette and stand by my window, looking out into the night. I see a man smoking  in the building across, and my friends words are on my mind. I just find it interesting to see at what particular moments people decide to smoke, as if there's some particular pattern. Is there? Is there really a puzzle behind every cigarette we choose to light?

I watched the pilot of House today since I ran out of ways to procrastinate. I know I said I was swearing that horrible thing off but bad habits die slow. And I have so many things to procrastinate from! I'm going to Munich tomorrow night for the weekend, to Oktoberfest. I'm pretty excited about it since I've never been before, and it's a great excuse to get out of the city and forget all about studying. And I've only ever been to Berlin in Germany, and what I remember most about that is how unbelievably cold it was. So I need to pack (which I haven't done) and I need to do all the work that is due in on monday (haven't done that either). But at least the dialogue in House is simply brilliant so I'd say it was worth it. I'm surprised I never watched this show before, but I felt like I'd seen enough medical dramas already.I love the fact that the main character isn't a hot hero type of guy, who rides in on his high horse to save the day with a hollywood smile. That makes the show so much better to me.

But anyway, I might attempt to get some work done now, since it's past midnight here and that's around the time I usually start getting things done. I'll end this with something from Dr. House himself: Humanity is overrated.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a regular..but love the show .Hugh Laurie..is amazing.I have watched perhaps 6 shows from it's inception.
    I wish I'd seen this episode..you have me wondering why exactly he chose these words.
    have a good time away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a pattern, yes. It is even more obvious when you cannot be called a true smoker but half decide, half get surprised by the impulse to light a cigarette from time to time. Cigarette moments are very peculiar when you only smoke once every two weeks, or even less.

    I just came back inside after one of those odd non-smoker cigarette moments, and just read your post. The feeling's hence increased: there is a pattern, more than a pattern maybe, it is more like a snowglobe moment. You light your cigarette and you become more than your usual self. You become the Pondering Smoker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never got into House, but then again, im not much into medical dramas. I just found your blog and its so cool that you live in paris! ive always wanted to go to Oktoberfest, its just an excuse to big out and drink loads of beer haha :) Have fun and good luck!

    ReplyDelete